Our Crew

Our Crew

Friday, September 26, 2008

Vent Session

Hey Everyone! Today's blog is about me and a struggle I am having. Ha! Sorry!
I have to ask. How many of you out there have started your own business? Or really, how many of you have husbands who have started their own business? Advice: DON'T DO IT! I don't really mean that but right now I am struggling. Our business is doing so well for which I feel SO very blessed by, BUT I NEVER see my husband. I know some of you are not like this. But I am the type of person who there is no amount of money in this world that someone could give me and say "but the only catch is your husband will be gone all the time" and me be happy with that. It is not in my blood at all. Family time, quality with my husband and kids is SO important to me. Right now, I feel like I never get it. The moving business is a 7 day a week job. It never ends. Derek has done moves until midnight before...he has been on a move Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun. They have tried really hard to stop all moves on Sunday but somehow one squeezes in the schedule here and there. I have to say it is stressful for us(me, Kimberly, and my mom) as wives and it is stressful for our husbands. Although, we have been told by someone who started his own moving business that the first year is by far the hardest. And was actually the hardest year of this man's life. WOW! Nice to hear when you are going through it BUT I am ready for this first year to be done with!!!! On top of the fact that we are a huge part of a brand new church plant. I know that Derek would love to put more time into Free Chapel then he has available. Both SquareCow Moovers and Free Chapel are his passion. But one definitely gets more of his attention than the other. He has no choice.
Derek and I have argued, fussed, been emotional, etc. more now then we ever have been. Nothing too terribly bad. But our lives are totally different then they were in B'ham. There Derek worked 8-5 Mon-Fri. We went to church on Sundays and some Wed. That was it! It was calm...easy...fun. At the same time we prayed that God would give us something to be passionate about. A ministry for us to pour our lives into. Here we are! Boy did He answer our prayers!! I know that this is where we are supposed to be and this is what we are supposed to be doing. God has blessed SquareCow and Free Chapel beyond our own imaginations. You would think it would be easy right?! Well...I hope and pray that not too long from now I blog again about how the first year was hard but it was all worth it. I hope I can say that Square Cow has offices in several cities across the US. I hope I can say that Free Chapel has reached so many people for Christ and grown so much that we have to have several services on Sunday. I believe these things will happen. But, I know that I need to enjoy where I am at in life right now. I was thinking how happy I am that we are doing this whole new business thing now while I only have one child instead of 5 years down the road when I have 3 or 4 children and it is chaotic. THAT is when I really want my husband around.
Sorry for the venting session. I just had to!! It is good for me to let it out. Please pray for us. Well, for me...so I don't get so frustrated and irritated. So that I constantly remember God's blessings and that I don't take them for granted. And that I embrace this time of our lives and love the good things instead of focusing on the petty things. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Hey Lindsey. This is Nancy Gale, Jessica Blackwood's mom. I check your blog from time to time. I just had to respond on this one. I have a husband that went from one ministry (a pastor) to another (mission field). He is gone on mission trips alot throughout the year. Although my kids are grown now, it is still very hard to have him gone so much. The house feels very empty. Without him or kids! My advice is to cherish those moments when Derek is home. Don't spend those precious times whining and arguing about him not being there. He would if he could. This time will pass and it will get better. Just hang on!