Our Crew

Our Crew

Monday, October 25, 2010

Potty Trained...FINALLY!


My 3 1/2 year old(today to be exact) has been out of diapers since 2 weeks before he was 2. However, this last year and a half has been very hard with teaching him not to have any accidents at all. Potty training has definitely been the hardest thing I have done thus far in parenting. Anyways, after much prayer for wisdom, patience, and guidance(I am SO serious! All I had left was prayer!) my 3 1/2 year old is completely potty trained!! I cannot tell you how happy we are about this! Our days are so much happier and calm. I really am so proud of Parker!
Derek and I had to kick into gear and be strict with some things so that Parker would start making his own decisions and go potty by himself w/out depending on us to tell him when to go. It is so crazy but since we did this he has not only had zero accidents(after the first few days) he has grown up in many other ways too. He has become more independent and happy to do things on his own. I heard that first borns would let you feed them with a spoon for the rest of their lives if you(as the parent) would let them. I do realize this is not true about everyone...however..it is true about Parker. He is independent in some ways and many ways he still likes to depend on us for things. His brother, however...is very independent on everything. We have seen Parker grow up in the last several months.
He has:
- stopped being scared of things that used to scare him,
-started making decisions on his own,
-dressing himself, putting his shoes on by himself(even if it is the wrong feet),
-doing favors for me around the house,
-making his own pb and j sandwiches,
-helping Daddy cook,
-helping his brother do things, etc.
Even though it is hard to see my sweet first born grow up, it makes me so happy to see that things are getting easier with him. Parker was a GREAT baby. Then after he was one he got a little harder. Don't get me wrong. Derek and I have had to work with him on all of these things. He did not just stop being scared, and willingly putting his shoes on. We had to make him be around loud noises even for just a little while and tell him there was no reason to be scared. We made him put his own shoes on even though he pitched the biggest fits. We made him go to the potty by himself(at home) even when he would rather have us take him. It wasn't easy. But, so far...it has paid off! We constantly get advice from others and it has helped tremendously. We have learned quite a bit about potty training that I hope will help with our other children.
But, my Mom asked me today(or yesterday) what I feel like has made the difference with Parker's pottying. What did we do that changed how he handled it. I didn't think of this at the time. But..duh...I should have. I honestly believe more then anything what has helped the most with ALL of these things has been PRAYER! When things have gotten tough Derek and I agree in Jesus Name that Parker will start to go potty w/no problems. Or fill in the blank. We will pray that over him every day out loud so he hears us. We constantly tell him that he is a smart boy and that God will help him with whatever things we are working on. Once again...I have had angry moments. I hate to admit that but it will about push you over the edge when your child has been potty trained for a year and he just poops in his underwear for NO reason. Or that when you tell him that he can't drink juice for lunch he says "well, I can drink water." Yeah, I know...if he gets that...he gets the whole pottying thing. I guess all of this is to say 2 things. First, we are SO proud of our son. Even though some things are hard...he really is such a good boy. I am sure some people would love for their biggest issue to be potty training. :) Second, if you are having issues of any kind with your child, the answer is prayer. God will give you guidance! He will! Even if it takes a year and a half!

No comments: